Attendance Allowance - Main Page

DLA Attendance Allowance - Main Page - DLA is being replaced by PIP - see below...


DLA (Please note that New claims for DLA are only available for children under 16 years.) and AA (Attendance Allowance) are probably the two most important benefits for people with any sort of longer-term illness or disability - including mental health problems.

They are, very broadly speaking, ‘extra’ money for people who don’t manage ‘well’ when left to their own devices - either because of difficulties looking after themselves, communicating and socialising, or because of some sort of ‘risk’.


DLA has been replaced for new claimants in April 2013 with a new benefit called PIP - Personal Independence Payment.

Disability Living Allowance

Who Can Claim DLA?

Unless you are already receiving DLA - DLA Benefit is available ONLY for children only now since April 2013. For Adults claiming anew it has been replaced by PIP - Personal Independence Payment.

  • Your Child need additional help with personal care, such as someone supervising you (not entirely necessary) - or
  • Your Child has problems walking and getting around, or maybe even being unable to walk.
  • Your child will have had these 'problems' for at least 3 months and are likely to have the problems for at least the next 6 months.

You child does not have to be severely handicapped to claim this benefit, and many recipients do not actually consider themselves as being 'handicapped'. If you simply have 'walking difficulties - even though you might be working.

Even if you have savings or other income, but suffer as above, then you could be entitled to DLA for your child. Savings and/or income is NOT taken into account. DLA is a tax-free benefit, and it does not normally affect any other benefits you might be claiming.

Care and Mobility Components for Child DLA Benefits Payments.

There are two different parts to DLA - called Care Parts  or Components. Sometimes they call them 'Parts' - sometimes they call them 'Components'! The DWP recognises that this might cause confusion, so even explain that they are both one and the same thing as far as DLA is concerned. A 'component' is of course a 'part' so why they have to differentiate we are not sure.

Care Part - Component


  1. Lowest Care Component - weekly rate of £20.55 - For those that need some form of help or assistance for part of the day or for help with cooking meals etc.
  2. Middle Care Component - weekly rate of £51.85 - For those that need more help, or even full time help or supervision at nights for such tasks as assisting you with dialysis.
  3. Highest Care Component - weekly rate of £77.45 - For those who need assistance through the day and also throughout the night time. This component is also applicable to the terminally Ill.

Mobility Component - Part.


  1. Lower Mobility Component - weekly rate of £20.55 - this is for those who need supervision and/or guidance when outdoors. Maybe you can walk, but are at risk of putting yourself or others in danger for reasons of your disability - maybe deafness, partial blindness, behavioural problems. Basically anything that you suffer from that could cause injury or danger if you are not accompanied or supervised.
  2. Higher Mobility Component - weekly rate £51.85 - For those with higher rate of disability - cannot walk, or only walk short distances with considerable discomfort or pain - are 100% blind and 80% deaf.

Medical Examination

If there is any doubt about your condition, then the DWP may ask you to attend for medical assessment. This would not normally be necessary if the problems caused by your physical or mental condition are obvious. The medical examination will be carried out by a health care professional on behalf of the DWP. If you are not satisfied with the result and implications of your medical assessment, then you can appeal against the decision. There is a special way in which you have to appeal, with relevant forms available from the DWP.

AA is for people who are 65 or over when they first claim. It only looks at people’s Care needs. The qualifying conditions for AA are identical to those for the middle and higher rate of the Care Component of DLA. To get AA you must have had your difficulties for the last six months and they must be likely to continue for the next six.

‘New’ claim packs were introduced in 2003 for AA     next>>>