Carers Credits - Who | How | When?

Carers credit Updated 17th April 2017

Carers Credit is not actually a cash sum that is paid into your bank. The credits are for boosting your National Insurance contributions to make sure that you don't lose out on your NIC because you are not able to work a full time job.

If you work full time, there is every chance that you will pay full National Insurance, which in turn will go forward to giving you a full pension once you are at state retirement pension age. With gaps in your employment record, it is probable that you will not get the full pension because you will not have paid the full contributions over time.

The government realises that as a Carer, you will not be paying your full NIC. So they will put some 'fictional' money into your National Insurance Contributions Account for you whilst you a Carer, which should ensure full pension rights when the time comes.

Getting Carers Credit.

To get Carers Credit, you - the carer - will need to be aged 16 or more, and also under the state Pension qualifying age.
You will also need to be looking after your care subject (s) for 20 hours each week or more.

Together with this, the person you are caring for will need to be getting one of the benefits listed below.

Disability Living Allowance with the component for care in the middle or at the highest rate.
Attendance Allowance
Constant Attendance Allowance
Personal Independence Payment, with the daily living component at either the standard or enhanced rate.
Armed Forces Independence Payment


If they are not getting one of these benefits, there is still hope for you to get the Carers Credit. Apply for your Carers Credit in the normal way, and when you come to the Care Certificate section, fill it in and get a care professional or a health professional to sign it as being true.

As with working, when you take a much needed break or holiday, you can still get the Carers Credit for up to 12 weeks consecutive break. This will include

a break for holiday,
If you are hospitalized for up to 12 weeks
If your care subject is hospitalized for up to 12 weeks

You should notify the Carers Allowance Unit, if you have a break in your caring activities of MORE than 12 weeks in a row.

How to Claim Carers Credit?

There is no need to apply for your Carers Credit

If you get Carers Allowance - credits will happen automatically
If you get Child Benefit for one under 12 years, credits will happen automatically
If you are a foster carer, you can apply for National Insurance Credits instead.

If you need to claim Carers' Credit, you can get the for from the Carers Allowance Unit

Carer’s Allowance Unit
Email -  cau.customer-services@dwp.gsi.gov.uk
Telephone: 0345 608 4321 Textphone: 0345 604 5312
Monday to Thursday, 8:30am to 5pm Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm

Download the Carer’s Credit claim form. From the Government website facility

Carers Allowance | Carers Main Page |

March 9th 2017
***Child Tax Credit - From April this year the ‘family element’ of £545 per year will be abolished.***

March 8th 2017
**MPs are calling for a halt to the accelerating roll-out of Universal Credit as the ongoing problems are causing undue and unnecessary hardship**

Most Popular  Pages - last 2 months