›› ›› ››

Contribution-Based Jobseeker’s Allowance 2017 - Who, How Much?

Contributed 9th May 2017

Contribution-based JSA is one of the two basic types of Jobseeker’s Allowance – with another ‘New Style JSA’ being introduced if you are in a Universal credit Area.

The two basic JSA schemes are

It is possible to receive Contribution-based JSA even if your partner is working or if you have savings.

The over-riding criteria for being able to claim Contribution-based JSA is that you are unemployed, are of normal working age and have paid enough National Insurance Contributions Class 1 in the two ‘tax’ years before the current ‘benefits’ year period. National Insurance Credits will also count if you have received them.

It is important to bear in mind that the ‘Tax’ year and the ‘benefits’ year start on different dates!

A benefits Year starts on the first Sunday of January and finishes a year later. The Tax Year on the other hand, starts on 6th April to the following 5th April.

To see how this works – an Example.

Worried teenNational Insurance Contributions will also include any NI Credits that you received from being a carer.

You will also have to comply with all the normal rules for claiming and receiving JSA – including proof that you are actively looking for work.

How Much is Contribution-based JSA?

If you have not paid enough NI Contributions and received enough credits combined you should claim for income based JSA instead.

You can find out how much National Insurance Contributions you paid by
Contacting the Department for Work and Pensions on 0800 055 6688

March 9th 2017
***Child Tax Credit - From April this year the ‘family element’ of £545 per year will be abolished.***

March 8th 2017
**MPs are calling for a halt to the accelerating roll-out of Universal Credit as the ongoing problems are causing undue and unnecessary hardship**

Most Popular  Pages - last 2 months